Don't just lose the weight--get rid of it for good!

Friday, February 15, 2008

John's 4th week

It's been a month since I started this contest. I'm down 5 lbs. (188lbs, 2.5% loss). That is OK - my goal is only 4-6 lbs per month, so I give myself a solid B grade. I've done moderately well in cutting portions, and occasionally I even cut high-cal snacks - still my biggest problem. I have over-eaten at restaurants 2 or 3 times, and have had a bunch of high-cal pizza type meals because of their irresistible convenience. My strategy is to not create rigid expectations for myself that I cannot possibly meet, and to avoid tons of guilt (pun intended). I expect some unhealthy eating is part of our culture that I can't avoid, but even so, I must create a healthier lifestyle. So, it is still a work in progress.

BTW - I am recovering from this week's hernia operation remarkably well compared to last time - 1/4 the pain & no noticeable brain fog from anesthesia. As long as I don't cough, I am doing very well. But for a while, my exercise will be mostly getting up and down the stairs, and in and out of my chair.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

I am so glad to hear that your recovery is going well. And your weight loss seems to be going well, too, as far as I am concerned.